top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


I have a greencard. Can I sponsor/petition my father?

NO. Only adult U.S. Citizens can petition/sponsor their mother or father.

I entered trough the Border 3 years ago. I am married to a U.S Citizen. Can I apply for a green card?

The quick answer is YES. However, the process for someone who crosses the border is far more complicated than for those individuals who entered with a visa. You should contact an immigration attorney for further assistance. We have assisted many clients with this type of application.


Is there a deadline to file an asylum application?

YES. An affirmative asylum application must be filed no later than 1 year from the date of entry into the U.S. There are exceptions allowed. Speak to an immigration attorney.


I have a hearing scheduled in Texas, but I live in Jersey. Can I transfer my case to New Jersey?

YES. However, there are deadlines and pre-requisites before the Court will transfer the case. Speak to an immigration attorney.

I have a case pending in Immigration Court. I am in the process of moving. Do I have to report my new address?

YES! If you move or change your phone number, you MUST notice the immigration court and/or ICE within five (5) days of moving. You must submit for EOIR-33. This is crucial because your address and phone number is how the Court and/or ICE will contact you and notice you of required appearances or Court dates. If you don’t update your address and phone number, and don’t receive your notices, you run the risk of being issued a Deportation Order. If you need help changing your address or phone number with immigration Court or ICE, please feel free to contact us for assistance.


I have a case with USCIS. Do I have to change my address?

YES.  Most non-immigrants are required to update their address with DHS overtime they move, including, but not limited to green card holders.  If your case is pending with USCIS, or if you already have a green card, you have to report your new address within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories.  For more information and to report your change of address, visit   We can also help you change your address – feel free to contact us for assistance.


I have a greencard for 10 years, Can I apply for citizenship?

Generally, YES. The minimum requirement is either 3 or 5 years of legal resident status. However, there are different events that make one ineligible for naturalization. You should speak to an immigration attorney.


The information contained herein is for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.  You should consult with your immigration attorney for an in depth evaluation of your case.

bottom of page